[gradsusr] GrADS Control File for Array with Spectral Band Dimension

James E. Johnson James.Johnson at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 20 10:15:14 EDT 2013

On Thursday 19 September 2013 06:11:44 pm James E. Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 September 2013 04:55:58 pm Jennifer Adams wrote:
> > First of all, thank you for providing all the information and data I
> > needed to reproduce the error! The failure of method 1 (using array
> > indices in the units field of the variable declaration instead of
> > x,y,z,t,e) is indeed a bug that is unique to the hdf5 data type. The
> > critical bit of information in the error message from the HDF5 library
> > was this: "src and dest data spaces have different sizes." In method 1,
> > the variables are described to GrADS as being only 2-dimensional (i.e.,
> > not Z-varying) even though they really have 3 varying dimensions, and the
> > library trips on this deception. The netcdf library is not as fussy. I
> > will put a fix in version 2.1, but for now you will have to use method 2.
> > --Jennifer
>
> Thanks Jennifer,
>
> I think there may be another bug. I have a more extensive control file with
> all the variables from the file. I can successfully display data from the
> first variable I read, but subsequent variables complain:
>
> HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.7) thread 0:
>   #000: H5Shyper.c line 6593 in H5Sselect_hyperslab(): not a data space
>     major: Invalid arguments to routine
>     minor: Inappropriate type
> HDF5 Error: unable to select dataspace hyperslab
> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'uvai'
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = uvai

One thing I notice is that if I close the control file, and reopen it, then I
can read another variable. But it seems GrADS 2.0.2 has a problem somewhere
allowing you to read/displaying mutliple variables.

| James E. Johnson                   | address:                              |
| ADNET Systems, Inc.                |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center     |
| e-mail: james.johnson at nasa.gov     |  Data and Information Services Center |
| phone:  301-614-5121               |  Code 610.2, Bldg 32, Room S130G      |
| fax:    301-614-5268               |  Greenbelt, MD  20771                 |