[gradsusr] Problems reading a netcdf file

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Sep 5 08:24:45 EDT 2013

GrADS should not crash because of a 'set lon' or 'set lat' command, but there's no way to give help without more information . Please provide the following:
- Grads version and OS
- output from ncdump -h on your data file
- your xdf-style descriptor
- full text of simplest GrADS session that crashes with any error messages
- your 'dtype netcdf' descriptor
--Jennifer

On Sep 4, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Matt Bunkers - WFO UNR wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a netcdf file that cannot be opened with sdfopen because it doesn't follow the COORDS convention.  After creating a descriptor file with x, y, and t definitions I can open the file with xdfopen and display data.  However, when I use the "set lat" and "set lon" commands in this scenario the program bombs out.
>  I therefore decided to create the full descriptor file (with dtype netcdf, pdef set accordingly, etc.) so I could plot my area of interest with the "set lat" and "set lon" commands.  That all seems to work fine; however, my data values now are all zero.  This is perplexing because I could see non-zero data when opening the file with the xdfopen command, but not when I opened the netcdf file with the open command and full descriptor file (I'm trying to plot forecast precipitation, by the way).  If needed I can provide a copy of my descriptor file.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
> -- Matt Bunkers, NWS Rapid City, SD

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University