[gradsusr] Problems reading a netcdf file

Matt Bunkers - WFO UNR matthew.bunkers at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 4 19:53:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have a netcdf file that cannot be opened with sdfopen because it doesn't
follow the COORDS convention.  After creating a descriptor file with x, y,
and t definitions I can open the file with xdfopen and display data.
 However, when I use the "set lat" and "set lon" commands in this scenario
the program bombs out.  I therefore decided to create the full descriptor
file (with dtype netcdf, pdef set accordingly, etc.) so I could plot my
area of interest with the "set lat" and "set lon" commands.  That all seems
to work fine; however, my data values now are all zero.  This is perplexing
because I could see non-zero data when opening the file with the xdfopen
command, but not when I opened the netcdf file with the open command and
full descriptor file (I'm trying to plot forecast precipitation, by the
way).  If needed I can provide a copy of my descriptor file.  Thanks for
any advice you can offer.

-- Matt Bunkers, NWS Rapid City, SD