[gradsusr] Question about why the wind vectors barbs not showing up for the 0-6 KM Shear difference

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 19:30:48 EDT 2013

The reason you are only approximating the 0-6 km shear is because you
are substituting the 6 km AGL winds for the 500 mb flow.  Since most
datasets are isobaric and don't offer data on a constant height AGL
surface, it's common to use the 500 mb flow since 500 mb is reasonably
close to 6 km AGL for most locations over the central and eastern US.
It does remain an approximation since it may be up to a few thousand
feet off.  In my experience viewing observed soundings, during the
warm season the 6 km AGL level is typically a little above 500 mb (in
the 450-500 mb layer).  There is a Grads script out there that can use
linear interpolation in the vertical to interpolate data on isobaric
surfaces to constant height surfaces if you need very accurate
estimates.  Look for zinterp.gs. It might even be in the grads
scripting library on the web site.  I use that script to display 0-6
km shear on my forecasting web site.  Here is an example:
http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~jdduda/forecast/NAM/18Z/0-6_shear_f24.gif

Jeff Duda