[gradsusr] Eurocentric global map

Charles Seman - NOAA Federal charles.seman at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 19 12:27:41 EST 2013

Jim, Cara,

I just tried plotting the variable *defined* for lon = (0,360) for lon =
(180,540), and now the *right* half of the map is missing.  It appears
that *defined* variables are only valid on the domain for which they are
defined, while *dataset* variables can be plotted for domains outside of
the domain specified in the metadata (or data descriptor file).
Apparently, GrADS knows how to "wrap" in the longitude direction for a
dataset variable, but does not do this for a defined variable...

Can you try defining the variable of interest for lon = (-180,180) or as
Alan suggested lon = (-170,190), or whatever domain on which you wish to
plot it?  Another alternative would be to write out the variable defined
on lon = (0,360) to a dataset, open that dataset, and work with that
dataset variable...

Hope this helps,
Chuck