[gradsusr] How to create a new Grads file?

Andrew Friedman andfried at berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 15 13:10:28 EST 2013

Hi Celso,

For save.gs, you also have to download the dependency scripts parsestr.gsf, parseopt.gsf, qdims.gsf and put them in your GrADS script folder.
The program should work for gridded data, and create a .ctl control file and .dat data file. You can open them by using the command ‘open’ on the control file.

One issue I’ve had with save.gs recently is that the line OPTIONS _cal
causes problems in the control file, so try commenting it out.

Alternatively, you could use the GrADS command sdfwrite to create a netcdf file.

If your data aren’t gridded, you may want to try writing as ASCII following the instructions in the User’s Guide.

Andrew

On Nov 14, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Celso Bandeira de Melo Ribeiro <celso.bandeira at ufjf.edu.br> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
> Thank you for your help.
> I opened the script but I didn't understand how can I use it in may case.
> Could you help me more?
> Thank you again.
> Best wishes.
> Celso
>

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:01:07 -0800, Andrew Friedman
> <andfried at berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>> Hi Celso,
>>
>> Check out save.gs by Bin Guan.
>>
>> http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~bguan/grads/GrADS_Scripts.html#save.gs
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Nov 12, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Celso Bandeira de Melo Ribeiro
>> <celso.bandeira at ufjf.edu.br> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Grads user,
>>> I need a help.
>>> I'm trying to generate monthly rainfall files by accumulating daily
>>> rainfall from TRMM-MERGE.
>>> I created an scripts in this Grads and it is adding precipitation well
>>> for
>>> each month, but don't know how can I save this result, the monthly sum
>>> in a
>>> new Grads file.
>>> Could someone help me to save the monthly rainfall data in a new Grads
>>> file?
>>> Here the code I'm using in Grads.
>>>
>>> 'open pcp.ctl'
>>> 'jan = sum(prec,t=1,t=31)'