[gradsusr] Extrapolate the 1000mb Height

Lee Byerle lbyerle at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 16:05:36 EST 2013

Andrew,
Here is a link that might be helpful.   Extrapolation of the heights are made using the hydrostatic equation:

https://reanalyses.org/atmosphere/extrapolation-merra-reanalyses-obtain-continuous-fields

Lee

On Monday, November 4, 2013 1:31 AM, Andrew Revering <andy at f5data.com> wrote:

Is there a good way to extrapolate where the 1000mb height would be?

For example, in doing a 1000mb to 500mb thickness, I have the 500mb height, and I have the surface elevation, but I do not have the calculated 1000mb height to create a thickness map.

How is that done? Obviously its below ground over most areas, especially the mountains.

Andrew Revering - Follow @andrewrevering on Twitter
Convective Development, Inc.
PO Box 511, Cambridge, MN 55008
http://www.convectivedevelopment.com/