[gradsusr] fwrite on mac

Qian, JianHua JianHua_Qian at uml.edu
Mon May 27 09:26:01 EDT 2013

Dear grads users,

I have trouble in using fwrite on a mac os x laptop.  I get the data written from fwrite, but when I plot the data (the correct values should be between 0 and about 100 mm/day), I got unrealistic number:
d pcp
Contouring: -9e+08 to 0 interval 1e+08

If I use "options little_endian", the number is of e+38.

This is how I used the fwrite in a gs file:

open /Users/jianhua_qian/Desktop/IRI/desktopdata/cmorph_indo/cmorph_indo.ctl
set fwrite -sq cmorph_03_13_son_mjo1.dat
%set fwrite -be cmorph_03_13_son_mjo1.dat   (I tried –be, but it does not work either)
set x 1 282
set y 1 301
set z 1
set gxout fwrite
 set t         2145
 d pcp
 set t         2146
 d pcp
 set t         2147
 d pcp
 set t         2148
 d pcp
…..

And my ctl file is as follows:

dset ^cmorph_03_13_son_mjo1.dat
title cmorph data 7dec2002to14may2013 mjo plases
options sequential
%options big_endian
undef  -9999.
xdef  282 linear 74.875 0.25
ydef  301 linear -40.125 0.25
zdef 1 levels 0
tdef  952 linear  00z07Dec2002 3hr
vars 1
pcp      0 99 mm/hr (00z data represents pcp of 00z to 03z)

-----
I tried big_endian,  little-endian, sequential, and biteswapped, but none works.

Could someone in the grads user group give me a clue?

Thanks!
Joshua Qian