[gradsusr] set clevs dynamically

Sam Wilson sam at surfline.com
Tue May 21 19:41:24 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I have a grads script that reads satellite data and figures out a temperature range based on the data over an area:

sstrange = maxtemp – mintemp

I would like to have 254 levels (colors) between that high and low temp, so I calculate an interval like so:

interval = sstrange/254

I have all the colors I need for the set ccols option, however I'm wondering if there is a way to dynamically set clevs based on the high and low temp and the interval.  I tried the below, but I don't think it worked:

i = 1
while (i < 254)
clev.i = mintemp+(interval*i)
'set clevs 'clev.i
i = i + 1
endwhile

I also tried the following:

'set cmin 'finallowt
'set cmax 'finalhight
'set cint 'interval

But I get a message saying 'Too many contour levels -- adjusting cint'.

Any ideas if this is possible or how to solve it?

Thanks and best regards.

Sam