[gradsusr] to write data in a format to open it in Excel 2010?

James E. Johnson James.Johnson at nasa.gov
Wed May 15 13:51:24 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 15 May 2013 09:41:48 am Gürol Çerçi wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have gridded data in netcdf format. I can open the data in Grads and do
>  the analyses, but I want to save the result data in a format that I can
>  open that data in Excel 2010.
>
> I could manage to save the data in netcdf format, but Excel can not open
>  that.
>
> How can I write output data in a format (like .dat or ascii) that Excel can
>  open that file?
>
> Thanks...

There is no such thing as an ASCII file format, ASCII is a character encoding
scheme for writing text using 128 binary values from 0x00 (0) to 0x7f (127),
32 of these are non-printing control characters that are obsolete today. A
file can be in a format that uses ASCII characters, but there isn't a
universal ASCII file format.

What you want is to create a file that uses a ASCII characters in a comma
separated value (CSV) format. You have to write each row and column of your
array separated by a delimiter either comma, space or tab. Then import into
Excel as a CSV file, and specify the delimiter (comma, space or tab).

| James E. Johnson                   | address:                              |
| ADNET Systems, Inc.                |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center     |
| e-mail: james.johnson at nasa.gov     |  Data and Information Services Center |
| phone:  301-614-5121               |  Code 610.2, Bldg 32, Room S130G      |
| fax:    301-614-5268               |  Greenbelt, MD  20771                 |