[gradsusr] how to get mean on a volume, second request

Alejandro Meza Mayorga jamaicam9 at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 13:07:39 EDT 2013

Hello grads users, this is my second request, hope you could help me.

 i'm fairly new using grads. I have a netcdf file that contains monthly mean data of zonal wind from 1871 to 2010, and i need to obtain individual mean values for each month for a given region (volume).

i was using the amean function, but a can only get a value of an area, and when i modify the lev parameter i get an error message, like this:

set lev 1000 700
a=amean(uwnd, lat=0, lat=25, lon=260, lon=300)

then i tried nesting various mean functions like this:

a=mean(mean(mean(uwnd,lat=0,lat=25),lon=260,lon=300),lev=1000,lev=700)

and i get a result, but i don't know if this is correct. Is this the right way to do it, or are there other ways?

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

Alejandro.