[gradsusr] can't use without internet connection

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Sat Mar 16 13:38:34 EDT 2013

Hi Silvia,

First of all, welcome to the GrADS user community!

Interesting you encountered the issue you mentioned, since I had not
experienced it before (i.e., not being able to use GrADS offline).
 Although I have used GrADS now for about 10 years, I just learned I also
cannot launch it in the graphics mode when my internet is disconnected.
 However, I did find I could do the following with my version (2.0.1.oga.1,
the opengrads version).  Perhaps something here will be useful to you:

When offline, I can use GrADS in the batch mode (grads -b).  Although no
graphics window, I can still plot and save output to image files.
If I am online and launch GrADS in the graphics mode, then afterwards go
offline, I can still use it in graphics mode as long as I don't quit the
session.

I have another machine with an older opengrads version (1.9).  On it, I can
initiate both graphics and batch modes when offline.

Perhaps one of the developers or other user can shed some light on this
inconvenient issue and how to resolve it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, and good luck.

Stephen Mc

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM, silvia rosalina
<silvi_math55 at yahoo.co.id>wrote:

> dear all,
>
> i am a new user grads.  i am confused because when i use grads must be
> connected to the internet. if not connected then i can't use the software.
> i use windows 7 and i use grads 2.0. so, what should i do? because i have
> trouble getting an internet connection.
> thank you very much.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.