[gradsusr] time series of averaged daily values

Charles Seman - NOAA Federal charles.seman at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 29 12:05:28 EDT 2013

One thing to keep in mind if the daily averages are field data (for
example, a 2D lon/lat field)... If you intend to do averages of the
daily averages, and if there are any missing data points in the daily
time series, then doing further averages of the daily averaged data must
be done with care: the GrADS arithmetic average and the ave() function
have different conventions for treating missing data.  Please read Eric
Altshuler's email reply to my post to the old listserv from April 13,
2007 regarding this issue:

When you use the 'ave' function in grads, undefined values are excluded
from the averaging calculation. In other words, if you have 10 values
but one of them is undefined, the ave function calculates the average of
the 9 remaining 'legitimate' values. The result from ave function will
only be undefined if ALL of the values involved in the average are
undefined.

On the other hand, if you explicitly refer to an undefined value in an
arithmetic calculation, the result of that calculation is also
undefined. For example, if you calculate the average of 10 values by
adding them up and dividing by 10, the result will be undefined if ANY
of the 10 values are undefined. That is why the white areas are bigger
in the figure you made by calculating the average with a 'while' loop.
Unless you have a compelling reason to calculate an average by
explicitly summing up the values, it's probably best to use the ave
function.

Sincerely,
Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
Calverton, MD, USA
ela at cola.iges.org

The only way I know of to be able to use the ave() function on the
individual daily averages would be to write them out into either netCDF
format (via sdfwrite) or GrADS binary format (via fwrite), and then read
that daily time series data back in as a single daily time average time
series variable for use in the ave() function.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

  Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
  U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
  Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
  201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
  Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/