[gradsusr] plotting wind speed (or velocity) versus height rather than level number

Goodson,Ron [Edm] Ron.Goodson at EC.gc.ca
Wed Jul 17 20:02:36 EDT 2013

Hi John

If you original levels were in pressure or height or sigma .. then I'm surprised it doesn't plot that as the vertical coord (if that is what you meant). Pretend the vertical coord is in mb in your original data.  Did you do something like "set z 1 10" or did you do "set z 1000 500".  The latter should cause the vertical coord to be mb.

If, however, you actually want all those different coord systems, then you will have to interpolate U to the various levels you want .. using something like the grads-script "zinterp.gs" (in the script library)

Ron Goodson
Prairie and Northern Meteorological Service of Canada Science Section	Unité des Sciences, Région des Prairies et du Nord, Service Météorologique du Canada
Environment Canada
Room 200 ; 4999 - 98 Avenue
Edmonton Alberta T6B 2X3	Environnement Canada
Pièce 200 ; 4999 - 98 Avenue
Edmonton Alberta T6B 2X3
Telephone | Téléphone	780 951 8791
Email | Courriel	ron.goodson at ec.gc.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org [mailto:gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org] On Behalf Of John D. Wilson
Sent: July 17, 2013 4:42 PM
To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
Subject: [gradsusr] plotting wind speed (or velocity) versus height rather than level number

Hi,

I'd like to plot a wind profile at fixed (X,Y,t). It's straightforward to plot (for instance) the u-component versus level number (``d
ugrdhlev'') but I'd like instead to display u versus height, or u versus pressure, or u versus sigma. I expect this is really easy but I haven't yet stumbled on the trick. Can anyone help? Thanks, John _______________________________________________
gradsusr mailing list
gradsusr at gradsusr.org