[gradsusr] Current Date in GrADS.

Rick Danielson onto.limbo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:34:43 EDT 2013

Hi Marie,

In a grads script try executing a separate script (say, "date.formatted")
that runs an operating-system command (on linux it might work like this):

   "!~/bin/date.formatted"
   ret = read(grads.print.date)
   "!rm grads.print.date"

   status = sublin(ret,1)
   if (status != 0)
     say 'error reading grads.print.date'
   endif
   today = sublin(ret,2)

where the separate script produces a temporary text file
(grads.print.date) in the current directory that contains the
date of interest.  Again on linux, this "date.formatted" command
would be placed with other executables in the $PATH) and might
contain an operating-system command like this:

date +"%y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S" > grads.print.date

Note that if your operating system provides a command to generate
today's date, you can often tailor it to produce whatever format might
be useful inside a grads script.  If you're reading between the lines
here, the message is use the right operating system...;)

Cheers,
Rick