[gradsusr] Solar Radiation

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:57:03 EST 2013

Hey Brian,
I bet you could estimate radiation as a residual from the thermodynamic
equation.  You could estimate the local change, the advection, the
molecular diffusion, and the latent heating from water phase changes which
only leaves radiation as the other major term (making assumptions about the
scale of the features you are examining, of course).  Then combine those
and assume that whatever is left over is due to radiation.  Then I think
you would multiply by air_density*Cp to get a radiation value in W/m^2.

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Brian Walsh <brianw at provair.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>

> Are there any models which output the amount of daily solar radiation
> (whether NWP or reanalysis model)? Or, is there a way of determining this
> from existing variables?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Brian
>

> This email and any attached files are intended solely for the use of the
> individual(s) and copied addressee(s) and may contain privileged and/or
> confidential information. Any distribution, use or copying by any means of
> this information is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient(s), please notify the sender by telephone or return the email and
> delete the material from your system(s).

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant