[gradsusr] finding differences between two runs with ctl files having different number of variables

Jagabandhu Panda jagabandhu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:46:39 EST 2013

Hello Jennifer

Version of GrADS: v2.0.a9 (little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf
hdf4-sds hdf5 opendap-grids,stn geotiff shapefile)

YDEF for both files are same

I am using 'open'

The dimension variables and other environments set before executing:
ga-> open sing08040112d05nurbhgtah97p5ic.ctl
Scanning description file:  sing08040112d05nurbhgtah97p5ic.ctl
Data file sing08040112d05nurbhgtah97p5ic.dat is open as file 1
LON set to 103.552 104.116
LAT set to 1.1876 1.53311
LEV set to 0.01 0.01
Time values set: 2008:4:1:12 2008:4:1:12
E set to 1 1
ga-> open sing08040112d05nurbhgtxxl.ctl
Scanning description file:  sing08040112d05nurbhgtxxl.ctl
Data file sing08040112d05nurbhgtxxl.dat is open as file 2
ga-> set dfile 1
Default file set to: sing08040112d05nurbhgtah97p5ic.dat
ga-> define mcape1=mcape
Define memory allocation size = 216720 bytes
ga-> set dfile 2
Default file set to: sing08040112d05nurbhgtxxl.dat
ga-> define mcape2=mcape
Define memory allocation size = 216720 bytes
ga-> d mcape2-mcape1
Operation error:  Incompatable grids
  Dimension ranges aren't equivalent
  Dimension = 1
  1st grid range = 1 129   2nd = 1 129
  Error ocurred at column 14
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = mcape2-mcape1
As I mentioned earlier, the number of variables are different in both ctl
files because they are output from two different model runs and use
different model environments.........

Best regards
~Jagabandhu