[gradsusr] statistical parameters

Clark, Douglas B. dbcl at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 05:44:19 EST 2013

Yes, one can calculate statistics such as the RMSE (and others) in GrADS. You can build expressions to calculate averages, sums of squares etc fairly easily, e.g. using the "define" command.

But, depending on the nature of your data, I have to say that sometimes this kind of thing can become pretty hard work in GrADS and might better be done in another package (or Python + GrADS via pygrads) that is better suited to number crunching. That's my view anyway!

It depends on how complicated the statistical methods become - RMSE and the likes are potentially fine in GrADS, fitting complicated distributions is probably better done elsewhere.

Sorry for being vague, but the answer does depend on exactly what you want to do,
Doug