[gradsusr] calculation omega from the continuity equation

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:43:48 EST 2013

On top of Pavel's advice, use the vint() function to compute the mass
weighted vertical integral of divergence.  There will be some errors if you
assume omega at the surface is zero, and you should try to correct for
there being zero omega at the tropopause, but that's only if you need very
accurate results.

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Pavel Kishcha <pavel at cyclone.tau.ac.il>wrote:

> Rana,
>

> The GRADS function hdivg(u,v) calculates the horizontal divergence
> (du/dx+dv/dy).
>
> Here is a link:
>
> http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gadocindex.html
>

> Pavel
>

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Rana Samuels <ranas at post.tau.ac.il>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I would like to calculate the vertical velocity/omega from the continuity
>> equation:
>>
>> du/dx+dv/dy+dw/dp=0
>>
>> (where I have u, v and would like to calculate it from 1000 to 300 mb)
>>
>> Can anyone help me with this?
>> Thanks
>> Rana

Jeff Duda