[gradsusr] How to calculate the velocity potential for a local domain ?

Teddy Allen teddyallen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 10:41:23 EST 2013

One option is to simply download vp data in a grads netcdf format from here:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP-NCAR/.CDAS-1/.DAILY/.Intrinsic/.PressureLevel/.vpot/

or in monthly format:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP-NCAR/.CDAS-1/.MONTHLY/.Intrinsic/.PressureLevel/

You can subset and select various times and regions for your needs through this site as well. This does not necessarily answer your question of how to accomplish this calculation in GrADS, but at least you will now have access to it and can use it in GrADS.

good luck,
teddy

http://www.teddyallen.com/
"To move quickly, go alone. To move far, go together."
African Proverb

the African domain and I want to  calculate the velocity potential.

>To my knowledge, the  classical “fish”
algorithm  under the opengrads version works for a global domain.