[gradsusr] How can I convert fnl files to .ctl files?

Wesley Ebisuzaki - NOAA Federal wesley.ebisuzaki at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 14 08:42:30 EST 2013

Hi,

FNL files can either be in grib1 or grib2 format.  You can tell the
difference
by running wgrib (a grib1 utility) or wgrib2 (a grib2 untility) on the
file.  You'll
know that you've found the right format by getting nice inventory.

For grib1 analysis files, you use

  grib2ctl.pl gribfile >gribfile.ctl
  gribmap -0 -i gribfile.ctl

For grib1 forecast files, you use

   grib2ctl -verf gribfile >gribfile.ctl
   gribmap -i gribfile.ctl

* These instructions differ from the previous answer *

For grib2 analysis files, you use

   g2ctl -0 gribfile >gribfile.ctl
   gribmap -0 -i gribfile.ctl

For grib2 forecast files, you use

   g2ctl gribfile >gribfile.ctl
   gribmap -i gribfile.ctl

Note that g2ctl is consistent with gribmap in its use of the -0 and -b
flags..

For Windows, you have to use "perl grib2ctl.pl" and "perl g2ctl".

In order for grib2ctl.pl to work, wgrib must be compiled and placed on your
path.
In order for g2ctl to work, wgrib2 must be compiled and placed on your path.

    Wesley Ebisuzaki