[gradsusr] Reanalysis from ECMWF

Ling,Alister [Edm] Alister.Ling at EC.gc.ca
Tue Feb 12 09:39:59 EST 2013

You mention grib and grib2 - you cannot use both formats at the same time.

Alister.

From: gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org [mailto:gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org] On Behalf Of Marie Staerk
Sent: February 12, 2013 12:16 AM
To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
Subject: [gradsusr] Reanalysis from ECMWF

Hello I am a meteorology student from Sweden and I am doing my bachelor thesis.

I am a beginner in using GrADS and I have a problem when I work with ECMWF reanalysis (ERA-Interim). I download them in GRIB-format (1.5x15 resolution) and then tries to decode them with wgrib. I don´t get any information about the lon and lat, but since I have the resolution from the download, that shouldn´t be any problem.

Then I create the .ctl file and tries to run the script. Then an error code shows for every value saying: GRIB grid size does not match descriptor and I do not get any matches. I have defined XDEF as XDEF 240 linear 0.0 1.5 and YDEF as YDEF 121 linear -90.0 1.5.

The strange thing is that it does not work on my computers but he same .ctl works at my friend´s computer and I do not have any problem using grib2-files.

Kind Regards
Marie Staerk