[gradsusr] Using A While Loop To Sequentially Loop Through Many Hours/Control Files

Perry, Aaron @ LSC Aaron.Perry at lsc.vsc.edu
Thu Dec 26 23:57:02 EST 2013

Good Evening All,

I am trying to implement a while loop that will automatically insert each forecast hour (ex. 000, 003, 006, etc) of many control files for a weather model directly into the 'open .ctl' line.

The reason for this is because I have 10+ control files that I'd like to run sequentially without having to create 10 different GrADS scripts to process each individual control file.

What I have in place now does not return any errors within GrADS but, it doesn't process anything and the screen stays black. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong...

In UNIX, you can simply use printf "%0*d\n" to accomplish three leading zeros. I've tried modifying this process by putting a "!" in front of printf to run the process outside of GrADS but, this doesn't seem to be working...

I've attached the "working" script to this email in hopes that someone who is more GrADS-savy than me can take a look at the coding and potentially figure out this issue for me.

Onward and Upward,

Aaron Perry
Boston, MA
Mobile: 617-780-4312