[gradsusr] "No Files Open" When Running In Batch Mode

James T. Potemra jimp at hawaii.edu
Thu Dec 26 16:06:41 EST 2013

Aaron:

I think the problem is with the "date" command.  You can test this with
specifying the date (replace the top lines with a constant date). If this
is indeed the case, some suggestions:

1.  Try with double quotes around the arguments to date, e.g.,

'!date +"%Y%m%d" >> /home/muaddib/grads/date/date.formatted'

I think you want a date like 20131226, but with single quotes around
the argument I think you'll get something like "Ymd".

2.  Is it possible you have two different "date" commands?  It could
be running in batch mode is using a different path that when you are
running interactively (e.g., you have a .bashrc or .cshrc that is not
accessed in batch mode).

3.  The >> syntax will append the output to file date.formatted,
but your script is always accessing the second line of this file:
sysdate = sublin(d,2)
Not sure why you have this.  Have you tried >! to overwrite the
file, then read the first line?

Jim