[gradsusr] csmooth working on contours but not shaded fields?

L.B. bcbass2989 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 21:32:28 EST 2013

Hello, I am currently using GrADS version 2.0.1 (32-bit) in Linux, and have
been having an issue with the csmooth option.

I can plot contours with the csmooth option on, and notice they are
smoother, but this does not happen with the shaded fields. I have attached
an image where I have the csmooth option 'on' for both a shaded field and
contours. You will notice the difference as the contour field is slightly
smoother than the shaded field. Both the shaded field and the contours have
the same interval. Here is a snippet of the code I am running:

'set gxout shade2b'
'set csmooth on'
'd sum((APCPsfc*CFRZRsfc)/25.4,t=1,t+0,2)'
'run xcbar 0.2 10.0 0.5 0.7 -line on -fw 0.08 -fh 0.09 -fs 2 -fo 0'

'set gxout contour'
'set csmooth on'
'set clab off'
'set cint 0.01'
'set cmin 0.01'
'set cmax 0.09'
'd sum((APCPsfc*CFRZRsfc)/25.4,t=1,t+0,2)'

Also, I have tried using the smth9() function, but that smooths the field
way too much and greatly reduces the values. This is for use on GFS data,
and it looks ugly with the sharp corners and whatnot around grid points.

Any Suggestions? Thanks.

*William (L.B.) LaForce*
Meteorologist
Central Michigan University '13