[gradsusr] Png file size 2.1

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Dec 16 12:17:37 EST 2013

Yes, the large file size of the image output is a known feature of Cairo graphics. I believe it is due to the expanded color map; the way that the anti-aliasing algorithm blends colors into the background introduces many new colors (in addition to any colors that are defined by the GrADS user). If you are concerned about image file size, then you can convert it to JPEG format and use compression, or try another tool called pngquant (pngquant.org) which reduces the size of PNG images.
--Jennifer

On Dec 16, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Paul Michaelwaite wrote:

> Hi, congratulations on 2.1, it looks excellent. One thing we are finding with it though is that the file sizes of the png's being outputted are much larger than on previous versions, a typical chart previously would have been 80-120kb, now it's 500-600kb. Is there any possible way to reduce that back?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Paul
>

> --
> Paul Michaelwaite
>
> DDI +44 (0)1386 576121
> Mobile +44 (0)7834 830099
>
> Confidentiality Statement : This email may contain confidential and privileged information and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by reply email and delete the mail from your computer. Should this email contain a quotation the following statement will apply :"This quotation is made and any resulting order placed shall be subject to MBC Netweather Ltd Standard Conditions of Sale. These Conditions are available on request."

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University
4400 University Drive