[gradsusr] Help multi-panel plots on a page

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 28 11:12:01 EDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 2:00 AM, Zilore Mumba wrote:

> As my earlier post had no heading, I am reposting the same in the hope that it may be seen and I can get help.
> I hope someone can find time to explain to me a few things on panel plots.
> In the panles_demo.gs (snippet below),I do not understand the following:
>
> 1. for four plots on a page I loop through p=1 to p=4, why do we display t
> (I want to display what I have in my file;
The display of variable 't' in the panels_demo script is only for demonstration purposes. Of course, you can plot any variable or expression you want to.
> 2. what is the global variable defined by _vpg.p in this script?
That is a script variable that contains the 'set vpage' command for panel number p.

> 3. How do I put a title corresponding to the graphic validity time, on each
> plot?
One way to do this is to invoke 'q time' and parse the output to get a string that specifies the time that corresponds to your plot and then use 'set string' and 'draw string' to draw it above your plot. Below is a code snippet that I use for this purpose:

function mydate
  'query time'
  sres = subwrd(result,3)
  wday = subwrd(result,6)
  i = 1
  while (substr(sres,i,1)!='Z')
    i = i + 1
  endwhile
  hour = substr(sres,1,i)
  isav = i
  i = i + 1
  while (substr(sres,i,1)>='0' & substr(sres,i,1)<='9')
    i = i + 1
  endwhile
  day = substr(sres,isav+1,i-isav-1)
  month = substr(sres,i,3)
  year = substr(sres,i+3,4)
  return (hour' 'wday' 'day' 'month' 'year)

--Jennifer

> Help will be appreciated.
> Zilore Mumba
>
>   rc = gsfallow("on")
>   if (args='')
>     say 'Two arguments are required: the # of rows and # of columns'
>     return
>   else
>     nrows = subwrd(args,1)
>     ncols = subwrd(args,2)
>   endif
>
>   'use wrfout_d01_2013-07-27_00.ctl'
>   'reset'
>   panels(args)
>   p = 1
>   ptot = nrows * ncols
>   'set mproj scaled'
>
> * Loop through each panel and draw a plot
>   while (p <= ptot)
>     _vpg.p
>     'set t 'p
>     'set grads off'