[gradsusr] Faster point output from grb data files

Sam Wilson sam at surfline.com
Thu Apr 25 17:46:32 EDT 2013

Hi Wesley,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the slow response.

I checked the packing like you suggested and the NAM model files I'm using are compressed with jpeg2000, hence the slowness.

I did what you suggested by converting the grb2 files to complex packing, but I'm still having problems with slowness – it didn't seem to buy me much.

I'm thinking that if there was a way I could change the grid used from Lambert Conformal to just a regular lat/lon grid, which would eliminate the need for a PDEF entry in the ctl file, it would speed things up a lot.  I've checked around online, but haven't had any luck.

Do you know if there is a way to do that using lats4d or the re() function? Or anything else?

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Sam