[gradsusr] How to plot the atmospheric cells

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan4space at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 07:35:12 EDT 2013

Dear David,
Thanks for your help
I have tried to plot the Hadley cell with the suggestions you made
still having problem with it

 Set lat -30 30
 set t 1(for example June)
 set lev 1000 100
 d mean(vwnd,lon=50,lon=100);mean(omega.2*1.0e3,lon=50,lon=100)

Says: Invalid Dimension Environment

Can you please tell what is the problem...
Thanking you..

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Davide Sacchetti <
davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 12:31 +0530, kalyan chakravarthy wrote:
> > Dear Users,
> >

> > I am trying to plot Atmospheric cells such as Hadley Cell using
> > monthly mean NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data
> > I trying to plot from V wind and W (omega) wind at different pressure
> > levels
> >

> > I am having some queries regarding this
> >

> > The script I have used to plot Hadley cell is
> >

> > Set lat -30 30
> > set lon 50
> > set t 1(for example June)
> > set lev 1000 100
> > d skip(vwnd,1,1);omega.2*1.0e3
>
> > But cann't able to see the exact upward and downward motion, Can
> > anybody know about this
> >

> it may depend on omega: when omega is positive vertical motion is
> negative ...: d vwnd;-omega.2*1.0e3
>

> > 2. Instead of plotting at each longitude is it possible to average
> > these winds over the longitude say average between 50 100
> >

> yes, e.g.:
> d mean(v,lon=50,lon=100);mean(w,lon=50,lon=100)*1000
>

> > 3 Is it possible to plot Hadley cell using stream function?
> >

> yes: set gxout stream
> avoid skip: if different from 1,1 stream will not work
>
> bye bye
> Davide
>

> >   Thanks in advance
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> > Y.Kalyan Chakravarthy

> --> Attenzione cambio indirizzo: davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it
> --
> Davide Sacchetti
> Centro Funzionale Meteo Idrologico di Protezione Civile della Regione
> Liguria
> ARPAL Unità Tecnica Complessa di livello Regionale
> V.le Brigare Partigiane 2 16121 Genova (I)
> tel: +39 010 6437535                    fax: +39 010 6437520
> mail: davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it     web: www.meteoliguria.it

*Regards*
*Y.Kalyan Chakravarthy*