[gradsusr] Question about merra reanalysis

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:21:59 EDT 2013

For future MERRA related questions (not grads questions), there is a
mailing list maintained, to which most questions are answered promptly
during normal business hours (on the East Coast US).
merra-questions at lists.nasa.gov

However, before mailing this list, there is a substantial amount of MERRA
related information at the following sites:
http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/merra
http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/mdisc/
http://reanalysis.org/
http://journals.ametsoc.org/page/MERRA

and even some grads related reanalysis tools:
http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Table_of_Contents

Q1:  Yes. Precipitation is available, but as with any reanalysis
significant uncertainty exists in model derived reanalysis fields. In order
to determine MERRA variables, and their file collections, one must use the
MERRA File Specification Document:
http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/research/merra/file_specifications.php.

Q2: No. We don't recommend sharing hard links to data, in the case that
servers change. It is far better to go to the GES DISC main pages:
http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/mdisc/

>From there. there is a link to "MERRA data products" to which one can find
several ways to access any variable. If only one variable or a few are
needed, we strongly recommend the data subsetter, which speeds data
transfer by tailoring the download by space, time, level and variable
subsetting, and also has some limited time averaging capability (daily
averages from the hourly data).  In addition, one may choose netcdf or hdf
format from the subsetter.

I hope this information is useful,

Mike