[gradsusr] how to make descriptor file

Sagar P Parajuli psagar at utexas.edu
Sun Apr 7 20:11:05 EDT 2013

Hi Wendi,
you have to write a control file for opening netcdf files that don't follow
coards convention. The control file should contain description similar to
the following script:
dset ^./Sagar.clm2.h0.2003-01-01-00000.nc
dtype netcdf
options template 365_day_calendar
tdef time 365 linear 1JAN2003 1dy

You have to check the content of netcdf file (such as using ncl) and write
the control file accordingly. You have to use 'xdfopen' or simply 'open' to
open such control files. Details of xdfopen can be found in grads page.

-Sagar

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM, wendi harjupa <wendiharjupa at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I need help
> I have NetCDF data (wind data)
> I tried to open it with command "sdfopen"
> but I could not see the contain of data.
> I got message as follows :
> "Scanning self-describing file:  20040410.nc
> gadsdf: SDF file has no discernable X coordinate.
>   To open this file with GrADS, use a descriptor file with an XDEF entry.
>   Documentation is at http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html"
>
> How to make the descriptor file, while we do not the contain of data.
>
> I attached the data as well in this email.
>
> Thank you very much for your help
>
> Best regards,
> wendi
>

> --
> -------------
> Wendi Harjupa. ST
> Shimane University Graduate School of Engineering Sciences
> Department of Electronic Control Systems
> Remote Sensing Laboratory
> s119447
> Cellphone : +81-080-4268-6676
> email : wendi at rslab.riko.shimane-u.ac.jp