[gradsusr] Open Error : Can't open description file

Inoue Kazunori inouekazu9812 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 23:38:12 EDT 2012

Dear Neha
Dear Luis
Thank you so much. While this is too basic for you, let me ask you.

The content of "model.ctl" is as follows,

dset ^model.grb
title "Sample Model Data for GrADS Tutorial"
undef 1e+20
dtype grib
index ^model.gmp
xdef 72 linear 0.000000 5.000000
ydef 46 linear -90.000000 4.000000
zdef 7 levels
1000 850 700 500 300 200 100
tdef 5 linear 0Z2jan1987  1dy
vars 8
ps        0    1,  1,  0,  0 Surface pressure [hPa]
u         7   33,100 Eastward wind [m/s]
v         7   34,100 Northward wind [m/s]
z         7    7,100 Geopotential height [m]
t         7   11,100 Air Temperature [K]
q         7   51,100 Specific humidity [kg/kg]
ts        0   11,105,  2 Surface (2m) air temperature [K]
p         0   59,  1,  0,  0 Total precipitation rate [kg/(m^2*s)]
endvars

As you know , the above model.ctl and model.grb are from
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/tutorial.html

I put Grads exe files and these files (model.ctl, model.grab and
model.gmp) under "c:\cygwin\usr\local\bin".
In Cygwin, I could start Startx (white screen) and also start grads in
X-window. I am afraid that this is path problem. In X-window, if I
type "which grads", the answer is "/usr/local/bin/grads". If I type
"model.ctl", the answer is " /usr/local/bin". Please advise why Grads
does not recognize "model.ctl".

Thank you in advance.

2012/9/17 NEHA SHARMA <16.sharma.neha at gmail.com>:
> Dear Inoue Kazunori,
> We can only help if we know the contents of model.ctl.
> So type the following command in the directory where model.ctl is stored and
> send us its contents.
> vi model.ctl
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Neha Sharma