[gradsusr] KML vectors or barbs

Matt Alonso matt.alonso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 20:35:29 EDT 2012

Not sure about doing it w/in grads itself but have you considered doing it
in a separate kml file?  It is really kludgy but there are only 2 ways I
know of to approach this.

1) Brute force it by creating images of all the possible combinations of
arrows/vectors and then referencing the appropriate one in your script to
build the kml.

2) This is a derivation of #1 and requires that you can make use of a
server-side language like php.  Basically you set the icon to be a
specially formatted url which will render the appropriate icon (e.g.
http://example.com/windbarb.php?spd=10&dir=320).  This is how wunderground
displays the wx station barbs on their wundermap.

Cheers,
Matt