[gradsusr] undef bug in grads2!

Muthuvel Chelliah muthuvel.chelliah at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 11 14:14:37 EDT 2012

Hello Bryan and other grads developers,

First of all thank you for all the great work you folks
do. You must have heard about several small issues
in grads2, that are yet to be resolved, for example,
the lack of regrid2, etc. Because of this, in most
of CPC operations, we are still using grads version 1.94,
and not switched to grads2.

Here is another one to the list of grads 2 problems.

In grads 2, I opened a file with undef explicitly
set as  -999.0.

I defined a variable and computed something,
and write the values out via fwrite. For some
reason, it is not using the same undef values
as it is input control file, but has set the undef as:
ga-> q undef
Output undef value is set to -999000000.000000

I was scratching my head, since it took me
some time to figure this out.  This is definitely a bug,
and please take a look at this.

Thanks again for all your great efforts into grads,
which is greatly appreciated by us all.

Muthu

Dr.Muthuvel Chelliah, eMail:Muthuvel.Chelliah at noaa.gov
Rm.3008, Climate Prediction Center, Ph:(301) 683-3393
NCEP/NWS/NOAA/U.S.Dept.of Commerce,
5830, University Research Court, NCWCP
College Park, MD 20740.