[gradsusr] A question on tcorr?

Muthuvel Chelliah muthuvel.chelliah at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 16 11:23:30 EST 2012

Hello Grads experts/developers,

Tcorr doc says:
>>tcorr (expr1, expr2, tdim1, tdim2)

This function produces a spatial map of temporal correlation coefficients.

    expr1   - a valid GrADS expression that varies in time
    expr2   - a valid GrADS expression that varies in time and may also
vary in X and Y
    tdim1   - starting time dimension expression
    tdim2   - ending time dimension expression

The expr1 time series is correlated to the time series at each grid point
in expr2. The result is a grid of correlation coefficients that matches the
X and Y dimensions of expr2. <<

This is fine, and great where we correlate a single time series in expr1
with the time series separately at all points in
expr2.

My question is, why can't both expr1 and expr2 be allowed to vary in X and
Y (instead of only expr2 now), so
that we may correlate the time series at each point in expr1 and expr2, and
we will get the spatial map
of correlation in the end.  Am I missing something, so this is not possible?

Thanks
Muthu

Dr.Muthuvel Chelliah, eMail:Muthuvel.Chelliah at noaa.gov
Rm.3008, Climate Prediction Center, Ph:(301) 683-3393
NCEP/NWS/NOAA/U.S.Dept.of Commerce,
5830, University Research Court, NCWCP
College Park, MD 20740.