[gradsusr] Problem using lats4d.sh to clip a file

Tokay, Maura M. (GSFC-610.4)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] maura.m.tokay at nasa.gov
Wed Nov 7 13:42:49 EST 2012

Hello -,

I am using the lats4d.sh  to clip the MERRA file that have the physical constants. The file is global but I need a small region and I want to convert from HDF to netcdf format. My command line is

lats4d.sh -i MERRA300.prod.assim.const_2d_slv_Nx.ctl -lon 84.0 87.0 -lat 27.0 30.0 -o merra.prod.assim.const.2d.slv.Nx.nc

Because I am having some problems with temperature when I downscale the MERRA temperature data using the micromet technique one of suggestions I got to troubleshoot the temperature problem was to do the downscale to a larger area and see if the results would be the same. I clipped the same original MERRA file using the same command line for a different area

lats4d.sh -i MERRA300.prod.assim.const_2d_slv_Nx.ctl -lon 80.0 90.0 -lat 26.0 33.0 -o merra.prod.assim.const.2d.slv.Nx.nc

To make sure the data was correct since I saw a significant difference after I applied the downscale procedure, I loaded my 2 clipped MERRA files on ArcMap and when I overlaped them and checked the surface geopotential value for the same cell I get two distinct results. I don't understand how this can be possible and I would like to know if anybody has any idea of what I might be doing worng. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maura

Maura Tokay, PMP - SSAI, Inc
Lead Software Programmer