[gradsusr] Error plotting full 120 hour GFS forecast, stops working after t30

Theo Carter thibidottwo at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 22:14:39 EDT 2012

Hi Diane,

This is a new attempt at downloading gfs and creating text file output - so I cannot say it worked for me before: however, I have used a similar way (cat the files, create .ctl and idx files) to create graphical (not text) output using GrADS from wrf modeling. The one difference is that the wrf I use only forecasts out to 48 hours, not 120.

I use gribmaster to download full gfs004grb2 3-hourly 0.5 deg files from f0 to f120 from the NCEP server.

I then concatenate the files together using "cat" into one large file of 2.2 Gig:
cat *pgrb2*>>gfsbig

Then create .ctl and .idx using:
./g2ctl -verf gfsbig >gfsgrads.ctl
gribmap -v -i gfsgrads.ctl

(Running gribmap manually shows a "Match" in every instance)

My created .ctl file shows:
dtype grib2
ydef 361 linear -90.000000 0.5
xdef 720 linear 0.000000 0.500000
tdef 41 linear 18Z24may2012 3hr

And from within grads:
"q file 1"  gives:  Xsize = 720  Ysize = 361  Zsize = 26  Tsize = 41  Esize = 1

So all the times appear to be available.

My hardware environment is 5.8GiB Ram and 4 processors Xeon E5520 at 2.27GHz allocated.
My software environment is Scientific Linux 6.2_64 in a virtual machine (Basically same as Enterprise Linux).
Grads Version 2.0.a9 from the EPEL repository and wgrib2 from the same. Built Fri Sep  3 17:16:06 UTC 2010 for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/

q config reveals:
This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:
  o Built on a LITTLE ENDIAN machine
  o Athena Widget GUI DISABLED
  o Command line editing ENABLED
  o printim command for image output ENABLED
  o GRIB2 interface ENABLED
  o NetCDF interface ENABLED
        netcdf 4.1.1 of Dec 27 2010 21:12:42 $
  o OPeNDAP gridded data interface ENABLED
  o OPeNDAP station data interface DISABLED
  o HDF4 and HDF5 interfaces ENABLED
      HDF 4.2r5
      HDF5 1.8.5
  o GeoTIFF and KML/TIFF output ENABLED