[gradsusr] Area average only for California

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 00:46:58 EDT 2012

I agree with Yaqiang's suggestion.  The trick with this is that you need to
have some additional information as to which lat/lon or which grid points
in your domain are considered to be within the California borders.  Grads
does not have the intrinsic ability to do that.  You'll have to supply your
own data.  I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find some data for this.  Good
luck.

Jeff

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Yaqiang Wang <yaqiang.wang at gmail.com>wrote:

> You need to produce a maskout data first in which the values of grid
> points inside California are positive and the others are negtive. Then
> use 'aave' function to get area average.
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:52 AM, rjmera <rjmera at coas.oregonstate.edu>
> wrote:
> > Hi, all. I've looked at some of the previous posts on this subject but I
> > wasn't sure if it covered what I wanted to do. What I'm trying to do is
> > to get area average for an irregular polygon. To be specific, the state
> > of California, for example. This would exclude other states in the
> > vicinity and the ocean. How should I proceed?
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > I'm using this version of grads:
> >
> > Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a9.oga.1
> > Copyright (c) 1988-2010 by Brian Doty and the
> > Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
> > GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> > See file COPYRIGHT for more information
> >
> > Config: v2.0.a9.oga.1 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf
> > hdf4-sds hdf5 opendap-grids,stn athena geotiff shapefile
> > Issue 'q config' command for more detailed configuration information
> >
> </home/server/pi/homes/rjmera/grads/Contents/Linux/Versions/2.0.a9.oga.1/x86_64/gex/udxt>
> > ... ok.

> Dr. Yaqiang Wang
> Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS)
> 46, Zhong-Guan-Cun South Avenue
> Beijing, 100081
> China
>
> yaqiang.wang at gmail.com