[gradsusr] Feature suggestion - Add alpha channel / transparency value to 'set rgb'

Brian Doty doty at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 28 13:24:47 EDT 2012

The new interface to Cairo fully supports transparency, with a new alpha channel setting with "set rgb" where values range from zero to 255.  Even better, there is support for this feature with all forms of output.  I've tested X windows, image, PDF, and Postscript.  SVG is also supposed to work but I've not tested it yet.  There's also pattern fill (and patterns can be transparent).  This all works really well with the new version of shaded contouring that I implemented a year or so ago (gxout shade2).  Which is one of the reasons for going to all the work to implement a new shaded contouring algorithm -- looking down the road to supporting these new features.

For those interested in the software engineering side of this, I've rewritten the entire back-end interface between the GrADS graphics utilities and the "rendering engine".  It will be possible to link in different rendering engines.  So we will keep the "classic" X windows interface -- for the really good performance -- but it will not support the new features.  And we will have a Cairo interface.  I'm doing this because I suspect we will need an interface to other packages as well (perhaps openGL?)

Here's an animation I put together showing off the transparency:

http://wx.gmu.edu/dev/pwat3.mov

Beware!  It's 40MB!

...Brian