[gradsusr] Creating a correlation plot using high temporal and spatial datasets

Rosalyn F Maccracken rmaccrac at gmu.edu
Tue Jun 19 12:44:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to use tcorr to create a correlation
plot, but, I'm having some trouble, and I suspect it's
a number of issues.

First, both my datasets have 3 hour resolution for
30 years.  One dataset has 0.25 lat/lon resolution,
and the other has 0.5 lat/lon res.  I have been
successful at using lterp to interpolate the
0.5 lat/lon down to 0.25, so that they are on the
same grid.  So, I know I have to do that to
make this work.

I'd like to see how these datasets correlate
throughout the whole time period, but, I have too
many points to plot.  I was thinking of passing
in a random number into my script, and using
the skip() function to filter out data points,
using this random number as the skip factor.  That
works fine for a single time period, but, like I
said, it's a 3 hourly dataset, for 30 years.

Does anyone know how many data points can be plotted on a correlation graph?

Also, is there a way to randomly skip by data point, and  time step?  Or is there just a better
way of doing this?

Thanks,

Roz