[gradsusr] Opening and extracting grads file generated from fortran

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 12:38:00 EDT 2012

It is possible to create control files for each data file, but I don't see
why you would ever want to do that.  It would be much easier and take much
less time to change the DSET entry in your one control file instead.  For
the templating, you only have to match up the pattern of the data file
name.  See this page about
templates<http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/templates.html>for more
information.  THe warning is just a warning.  The only reason it
appears is because you have the keyword "options template" in your control
file, yet you have no template symbols in the DSET entry of your control
file.  Change your DSET line to this: DSET %y4/mld%y4%m2%d2.gpv to be able
to use the one control file to open all data files.  Again, make sure you
run this from the directory that contains those directories or else you
will get errors from the control file being unable to find the data.

The message you will get when Grads successfully displays data is something
like what you said: Contouring: 50 to 450 interval 50
Possible reasons for why you couldn't see it:
1) Did you open a display window?
2) Is your data defined over a different geographical region than the one
specified in the control file?  If the dimension environment completely
misses the region over which the data are defined, you won't see anything
even though Grads will display it.

You said someone else made these files.  I suggest talking to them about
how they made them to determine how to display the data if you continue to
have problems.

Jeff