[gradsusr] WRF query

Mira Losic mlosic at envsci.rutgers.edu
Thu Jul 26 15:15:07 EDT 2012

Roopa,
Here is an excerpt from the WRF user's forum:

U and V are relative to the WRF model grid, so they may need to be rotated
to be relative to the earth. This can be achieved by

Uearth = U*cosalpha + V*sinalpha, and
Vearth = V*cosalpha - U*sinalpha.

Also, be aware that if you want to compare this to observations, these
typically record the direction the wind is blowing from, in degrees from
North, so you need to make sure you compute this from the component
vectors.

The full post is here
http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3225

Hope this helps,