[gradsusr] Curious why UGRDprs does not display properly in GrADS - data from new MSC CMC regional model

Poulin,Lewis [CMC] Lewis.Poulin at ec.gc.ca
Wed Jul 18 12:46:54 EDT 2012

Hello GraDS community.

The Meteorological Service of Canada is running in parallele its next
generation of its regional deterministic model. The new model runs on a
10km grid and will eventually replace the operational 15km model

As part of our tests we produce grib2 files of its data.  We want to
make sure users will be able to process grib2 data in packages like
GrADS

I have found that parameters of the type TMPprs 850 display well on the
full grid and on a portion of the grid

However, the UGRDprs 850 parameter does not appear to display correctly.
(here am only using UGRDprs but applies to VGRDprs also)

I placed my data and images displaying the problem in directory at:
http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmoi/grads/regional10km/

The images there show how data displays in grads on full and portions of
the grid

If you wish to test data or reproduce the images

- Go to : http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmoi/grads/regional10km/
- Copy the grib2 ctl idx reg_test (and possibly cbarn.gs) to your
account
- Start grads
- run the commands in the file reg_test
- Images of full grid and portion of grid will be made

Am looking for advice to understand why UGRDprs 850 does not display
properly in GrADS

Thanks in advance

Lewis Poulin
MSC-CMC Dorval, Qc