[gradsusr] help required in using "maskout" function in grads

Clark, Douglas B. dbcl at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 08:25:22 EDT 2012

Farah,

You need to have a variable that can be used to distinguish between land and sea points (e.g. a land/sea mask).
If the variable is called "land" and has values of 1 at land points, 0 over sea, and your precipitation variable is called "precip",
'd maskout(precip,land-0.5)'
will only show the land precipitation.

You can use a similar maskout construction as the argument to e.g. aave.

In any case, the second argument to maskout has to evaluate to <0 over sea, and >=0 over land.

Doug