[gradsusr] Incorrect coordinates for WRF output in GrADS

Ivan Toman ivtoman at inet.hr
Sun Jul 8 07:53:02 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have issues displaying WRF output in GrADS. The problem happens
because coordinate system in GrADS (or in WRF gribs?) seems to be
somehow misshaped. Attached image clearly shows example of my issue. So
on the image, in color is plotted land/sea mask from WRF NMM grib file.
However, on the NorthWest part of domain, and on the SouthEast part of
domain, land/sea mask is tottaly out of order according to GrADS
coordinating system! As you can see, Great Britain islands are moved in
southwest direction almost 3 degrees, and Greece/Turkey is moved in
northeast direction, and whole shape of domain is somehow deformed.

I postprocess with wrfpost and then create ctl and idx with grib2ctl.pl
and gribmap and use opengrads for display.

I'm currently unable to find why this missalignment as described above
happen. Is it problem in GrADS, WRF, or postprocessor?

Thanks for any idea.
Ivan Toman