[gradsusr] Need help in converting .nc file to text file

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 25 16:23:40 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Somsubhra chattopadhyay <
som.agrotech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I am a pretty new user of OpenGrADS. I would need to convert my climate
> projections from GCM and RCM's which are in NetCdf format to text format in
> order to make them acceptable for SWAT model. I have tried using the ncdump
> command but it gave me error like : unknown command: ncdump.

Very likely, the output of ncdump is not what the SWAT model expects.

> Could anyone kindly help me in the process so that I can convert the files
> to my desired format.

You will likely need to do some programming to accomplish this task. Start
by understanding the specific format expected by your model. Then take a
look at this recipe and adapt it as needed:

http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-002:_Saving_GrADS_variable_data_to_a_text_file

If you know python, this recipe may be useful:

http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-003:_Using_PyGrADS_to_save_variable_data_to_a_text_file

All of this assumes that your netcdf file can be read by grads.

 Good Luck,

   Arlindo

> Best Regards
> Somsubhra