[gradsusr] grads and UTM

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 20 09:11:15 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Davide Sacchetti <
davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it> wrote:

> thanks
> actually you can plot UTM data but geography is not correct ... I'm
> looking for a pdef or bilin option in order to remap data (as you can do
> with other projections)

There is no native support for UTM in GrADS. With the proper PDEF you could
map the UDF data into lat/lon, this way getting GrADS to have the correct
coordinates. Way back (v1.8?), B.-J. Tsuang had contributed a UTM patch for
GrADS but this never made into the main codebase.

   Arlindo

> bye bye
> Davide
>

> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 10:07 -0700, jc wrote:
> > Hi Davide,
> >
> > I use UTM coordinates with GrADS all the time, so it will work.
>  However, in most cases you need to modify your coordinates.  I multiply
> each coordinate by 10E-5 or 10E-6 since GrADS wants Lat/Lon coordinates.
>  That makes pseudo Lat/Lon coordinates that will plot just fine.
> >
> > Do not use the default GrADS base maps with your plots.  I was plotting
> velocity vectors in New Mexico, USA and kept getting a strange shape in my
> plots.  That turned out to be Sicily.
> >

> > John Ciolek
> > AlphaTRAC, Inc.
> > 10385 Westmoor Dr., Suite 310
> > Westminster, CO 80021
> >

> > On Jan 18, 2012, at 4:41 AM, Davide Sacchetti wrote:
> >
> > > dears,
> > > does anybody know how and if to plot UTM preprojected data in grads?
> > > cheers to all
> > >
> > > Davide
> > >
> > > --
> > > Davide Sacchetti
> > > Centro Funzionale Meteo Idrologico di Protezione Civile della Regione
> Liguria
> > > ARPAL Unità Tecnica Complessa di livello Regionale
> > > V.le Brigare Partigiane 2 16121 Genova (I)
> > > tel: +39 010 6437535                    fax: +39 010 6437520
> > > mail: davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it     web: www.arpal.gov.it

> --> Attenzione cambio indirizzo: davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it
> --
> Davide Sacchetti
> Centro Funzionale Meteo Idrologico di Protezione Civile della Regione
> Liguria
> ARPAL Unità Tecnica Complessa di livello Regionale
> V.le Brigare Partigiane 2 16121 Genova (I)
> tel: +39 010 6437535                    fax: +39 010 6437520
> mail: davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it     web: www.meteoliguria.it

Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu