[gradsusr] Suggestion for an internal call.

Goodson,Ron [Edm] Ron.Goodson at EC.gc.ca
Tue Jan 10 18:44:34 EST 2012

This doesn't answer your question re "gs" vs "gsf" .. but I had a
similar desire to output useful names .. and this is what I did:

var.1.1 = 'prmslmsl/100'
var.1.2 = 'MSL Pressure'

var.2.1 = 'tmpsfc - 273.16'
var.2.2 = 'Sfc Temperature'

var.3.1 = 'tmp - 273.16'
var.3.2 = '0.995 Temperature'

var.4.1 = 'mag(ugrdsfc,vgrdsfc) * 1.97'
var.4.2 = 'Sfc WindSpeed'

var.5.1 = 'mag(ugrd,vgrd) * 1.97'
var.5.2 = '0.995 WindSpeed'

var.6.1 = 'TCDCsfc'
var.6.2 = 'Cloud Cover'

var.7.1 = 'apcpsfc'
var.7.2 = 'accum precip'

And had statements like

'd  ' var.MyVar.1
rec = sublin(result,2)
value = subwrd(rec, 4)
value = math_format('%6.1f', value)
'draw string 0.1 ' MyY ' ' value ' : ' var.MyVar.2

where MyVar was 1 -> 7.  This could also be used to translate by doing
string matches and the like.