[gradsusr] Question regarding basemap.gs

Marsh, Kieren k.marsh at geos-uae.com
Tue Feb 28 03:04:17 EST 2012

Sam,

As Sergey says plotting the shape files in new GrADS is much better,
quicker and easier.

However, I have some hires polygon files to use with basemap.gs that (I
think) cover countries bounding the Mediterranean and the Arabian Sea
that I painstakingly put together. They are not as efficient as the
polygon files shipped with GrADS. The polygons that cover the mainland
of a country are split up in the original lpoly_hires.asc, so that
polygons outside of the area in question are not plotted. In my
lpoly_hires.asc file I haven't done this so even if a small piece of a
country is within the plotting area GrADS plots the whole thing (off the
screen) which means it can be VERY slow.

Kieren Marsh