[gradsusr] Question regarding basemap.gs

Sergey Varlamov vsm at jamstec.go.jp
Thu Feb 2 21:40:06 EST 2012

Hi, Sam

I think that the best solution for you could be to use new grads 2
feature - plotting the map using shape files.
Please see the grads documentation - in addition to the
"how to" receipts it also includes the list of free shape files sources
for downloading.

For "country" scale the resolution of public shape files is usually higher
than that in grads "worldmap" data set and all polygons could be filled.
Just test it well, as my "games" with large number of simultaneously
plotted shape files couple of times resulted in "quiet" crash of
linux x-sessions with all work lost, like in old Windows.
May be the old version of suse linux I am using is an issue,
but grads and supplibs including shapefiles library were re-build by me
from the latest COLA version.

Best regards,
Sergey Varlamov

JAMSTEC, Yokohama